Selling Virtually

THE PROBLEM

Selling virtually, or remote selling is nothing new. Sales have been made over the phone for generations. What is new is the video technology, which has become an important component when selling virtually. And it’s not going to go away. CSOs believe that 58% of sales will be conducted virtually, even more than during the pandemic. They are preparing their sales teams with the new skills needed to perform successfully in the virtual environment. Advancements and new tactics are ever emerging now that even more sales reps are familiar with and are using technology to succeed. Sales people need to be fully proficient and up to date with the latest technology in order to stay even with the competition and more importantly, because their buyers are. Selling virtually is here to stay.

What are some symptoms of poor virtual selling skills?

Sales are falling off

We can help by...

  • Connecting to buyers virtually
  • Effectively use technology
  • Mastering the source of engagement
  • Master the presentation
  • Gaining confidence in virtual presentations
Virtual Selling Solutions

Companies can’t afford to have field sales people everywhere they have customers

We can help by...

  • Connecting to buyers virtually
  • Effectively use technology
  • Mastering the source of engagement
  • Master the presentation
  • Gaining confidence in virtual presentations
Virtual Selling Operations Solutions

The tried and true selling skills get lost in the new way of reaching clients.

We can help by...

  • Connecting to buyers virtually
  • Effectively use technology
  • Mastering the source of engagement
  • Master the presentation
  • Gaining confidence in virtual presentations
Virtual Selling Engagement Solutions

Sales people are not skilled enough to execute a virtual call

We can help by...

  • Connecting to buyers virtually
  • Effectively use technology
  • Mastering the source of engagement
  • Master the presentation
  • Gaining confidence in virtual presentations
Virtual Sales Presentation Solutions

Even though they are “trained” in the technology, sales people are frustrated and/or are reluctant to use it.

We can help by...

  • Connecting to buyers virtually
  • Effectively use technology
  • Mastering the source of engagement
  • Master the presentation
  • Gaining confidence in virtual presentations
Virtual Sales Technology Solutions

 Do you want to increase your sales through better virtual selling?

 The Path to Growth Starts Here

Mistakes sales people make on a Virtual Call regularly

Talk too much

This is probably the easiest mistake to make. The format is prime for allowing this to happen. Focusing on the technology can make it more difficult to read your buyer’s signals so you forge ahead. As my uncle always used to say, “Take a breath!”

Go all business and leave out time for rapport building

With more than 50% of buyers being highly influenced by the relationship when they choose to buy, it can do some tremendous damage to your chances of moving forward. Buyers say that just 25% of sellers are very effective at building rapport & developing relationships. Are you part of the 25% or the 75%?

Plan poorly

Virtual meetings need more organization and orchestration. Buyers get lost or frustrated in aimless meetings. There is no question that using technology takes more time in the preparation for the call. Some visuals are required to keep the buyer focused on what is going on in the call and not what is happening where they are. Questions are also important.

Forget a dry run – technical difficulties

You need to master the technology. Practice before the meeting with someone at the other end. Remember the story about the lost sales due to poor use of the technology?

Miss the customer’s body language and other clues because they are staring at themselves instead of looking at their buyer

While these may seem like little things, they can have a big impact on what you do next. How embarrassing would it be to blindly follow your script because you didn’t see your buyer sit back and cross their arms, signaling disagreement?

Stay still instead of animated

When you can see yourself it is so easy to become self-conscious. When you are in-person, this doesn’t happen so you are more natural.

Forget manners like dressing appropriately, listening closely

Credibility is more fragile on a virtual call. Projecting confidence instills confidence in your buyer. Dressing like you just out of bed – well who knows what that projects?!

Allow extra noise from background

Working from home presents its own set of problems.  We have three dogs who know just exactly when to start barking – as soon as I turn on the call. While most people are understanding of these kinds of distractions, who knows for how long they will continue to be. It will be expected in the future that if you work from home you have set up a professional work space.

Look unprofessional – self and surroundings

This is a continuation of the background noise. The appearance of yourself and your surroundings is part of propriety. You want your buyers to have confidence that if they choose you and your company, that it is a credible company and not some fly-by-night operation.

Forget to ask buyer to act

This probably the worst one to make. After all, what is the point of the call anyway?

What is Selling Virtually?

Selling virtually is a systemic approach using social media, email, website and technology driven sales that enable a company to reach their sales targets.

These communications are increasingly replacing in-person, face-to-face conversations.  According to research from Deloitte, 67% of the buying journey already occurs digitally, so in order to reach prospective buyers, a company has to effectively include the use of social media, email and websites in the mix of virtual sales. Video conferencing technology is the relatively new addition.

Why is Selling Virtually Important?

It is becoming the new normal. Today 75% of buyers are using more resources to research and evaluate purchases before they will even engage with a sales person. This shows a reluctance on their part to commit to time spent with a sales person.

In addition, customers are more reluctant to take in person meetings. Dynate conducted a survey in which they found that 92% of B2B buyers prefer virtual interactions. The Wall Street Journal’s survey said only 20% of those in procurement will meet with a sales person face to face going forward. They are finding that virtual meetings are more efficient and it’s easier to pull all the key players together, even from different parts of the world. Sales teams need to adapt to this new environment.

With new markets and expansion to global markets, finding new ways to connect efficiently and cost-effectively is an Important component of the strategy. Selling virtually gives sales people more time to spend in front of customers. The best performing sales people aim for 40 – 50% of their time in front of a buyer versus the average of 16%. Virtual selling allows for faster and more frequent conversations with buyers and the ability to interact with more prospects.

92%

of B2B buyers prefer virtual interactions.

Forbes Magazine

How Can SEG Help?

Strategic Enhancement Group has been helping sales people learn the skills to be able to sell since 1984. We can help you and your sales team learn what they need to be successful growing their sales virtually.

Lets talk selling virtually

Monthly Tips and Insights to Help Develop Your Best Sales Talent

Join over 1,100 professionals for the Strategic Insights Newsletter
Copyright Strategic Enhancement Group 2006-2023 All Rights Reserved
Site by Neuvocreate